Saturday, February 26, 2011

WHO can do this...YOU can! Working With Sculpey Clay

Creating this owl was not only fun, but incredibly easy to do! I have never used Sculpey III Oven-Bake Clay before in my life. I have always wanted to play with this clay and try it out.

I purchased the Crafter's Variety Pack that comes with 12 different colors and 2 modeling tools for $9.99. The package came with an insert that gives great directions and several project ideas. There is also a great website at www.sculpey.com that includes tons of great ideas for working with this clay and directions.

My 9 year old daughter Kaylee made a great little penguin in no time at all.



I prepped my surface by using wax paper as to not leave any stains on my dining room table. It took me a bit to decide what to make with all the great colors that I had, but eventually I decided that I would make an owl.
  I selected chocolate brown for his body and pottery for his face and wings. I cut small pieces from the blocks of clay and then kneaded it until it was soft and smooth. His face started as a ball that I flattened with my fingers and then I pinched him a few ears..

 I pushed the top of the pen into the clay to shape his eyes and I used just one side of the top of the pen to create his chest feathers. 
I made his eyes and his talons with yellow. His pupils are black and for both parts of the eyes I just rolled the clay into tiny balls. His nose is made from the color just orange, I used the moldeling tool to shape a triangle.  For his talons, made crescent shaped pieces and cut out the centers with the modeling tool.  I thought they looked like little fortune cookies :)  After I was happy with his looks I popped him on a cookie sheet and baked him at 275 degrees for 15 minutes and he hardened and is done.  
This is my lovely daughter Kaylee.  She is my shadow and quite artistic. In fact you be the judge of who made the cuter clay figure.  She loves penguins.... The idea for this little guy came right from sculpey.com.  They have great directions.  He is a slight variation on the ones that they show.
HELP.... he  screams!! Put me together!
Time for a bit of sunbathing!! Getting ready to bake in the oven!
As you can see he has been eating his share of fish and is a little thicker than our owl friend, so he will bake for 30 min at 275 degrees.



This was a great little project that took very little time at all! We had a blast and it was so very easy!  Look for more projects like this one right here. Thanks for visiting and please feel free to comment or ask questions.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: